- 1 Where’s the best place to buy a bus?
- 2 Why are used school buses so cheap?
- 3 What is the best bus for conversion?
- 4 Do school buses rust?
- 5 How many miles does a bus last?
- 6 How can I get a cheap bus?
- 7 How many mpg do school buses get?
- 8 How much does it cost to convert a school bus into an RV?
- 9 How much does it cost to live in a Skoolie?
- 10 How long does it take to convert a Skoolie?
- 11 How long do school bus engines last?
- 12 How do you get rust off a bus floor?
Where’s the best place to buy a bus?
Where to buy a school bus
- The Facebook Marketplace.
- Hopefully one of these places will be the place where you find your future dream home! Make sure to also check out this article about mistakes to avoid when buying a school bus.
Why are used school buses so cheap?
Prices of Used Buses One reason why used buses are so cheap is that they may not meet government regulations (discussed below) and thus cannot be purchased by government agencies. Another reason why they are so cheap is that many of them are just purchased for parts.
What is the best bus for conversion?
The best school bus for conversion is a short bus like our Thomas MinoTour Ford E-450 which offers more maneuverability, easier driving and parking, and better gas mileage than it’s larger counterparts.
Do school buses rust?
No matter what, most retired buses you will find will likely have rust to some degree. Just make sure that it’s minimal and easy to remove as much of it as possible.
How many miles does a bus last?
These standards determine the maximum age and mileage for which a bus should be used. Smith said buses are expected to last about 12-15 years and 250,000 miles under normal conditions.
How can I get a cheap bus?
You can find cheap school buses of every make, model, and condition with just a few clicks on the web. Top 10 places to buy a cheap school bus:
- Public Surplus.
- 2. Facebook Marketplace.
- Bus Life Adventure Classifieds.
- Gov Deals.
- Skoolie.net Classifieds.
- Conversion Trader.
How many mpg do school buses get?
Smaller school buses tend to average around 12 miles per gallon, whereas the larger, traditional school bus gets around 9 or 10 miles per gallon.
How much does it cost to convert a school bus into an RV?
How Much Does a School Bus Conversion Cost. The average school bus conversion cost for appliances, equipment, tools, and raw materials is around $20,000 to $30,000.
How much does it cost to live in a Skoolie?
Most estimates I’ve seen say you should expect to spend between $20,000 to $40,000+ to outfit the bus into a habitable home. Your conversion costs depend primarily on 3 factors: 1) The condition of the bus you purchase. 2) The kind of renovation you decide to do. 3) If you can do some of the labor yourself.
How long does it take to convert a Skoolie?
When people ask us how long does it take to convert a bus, the answer is 16-20 weeks.
How long do school bus engines last?
Some alternatively fueled engines like propane or gasoline may need to be replaced two to three times during the normal lifecycle of a school bus. Clean-diesel engines, on the other hand, are built to last 15-20 years. The difference in engine life lies in how engines are built.
How do you get rust off a bus floor?
If you only have surface rust then you will need to use a wire brush and angle grinder to smooth out any heavily rusted spots. After you have the bad spots taken care of, apply rust converter to the floor.