- 1 How long can a child legally be on a school bus in NY?
- 2 How far do you have to live from a school to get a bus in New York?
- 3 Does New York City have school buses?
- 4 What should students do while riding the bus?
- 5 What age can a child get off the bus alone in NY?
- 6 How long can a child legally be on a school bus in Massachusetts?
- 7 How do NYC children get to school?
- 8 What does it mean when a school bus is stopped and its red lights are flashing?
- 9 Do you have to stop for a school bus on a divided highway in NY?
- 10 How many school buses are in NYC?
- 11 Can college students get student MetroCards?
- 12 How many rides does a school MetroCard have?
- 13 How many kids die in school buses each year?
- 14 Is a bus safer than a car?
- 15 Why are school buses safer without seatbelts?
How long can a child legally be on a school bus in NY?
Students can legally spend up to 90 minutes on a bus within one borough – in each direction — or up to 115 minutes if traveling between boroughs. If “limited travel time” is specified as medically necessary on a student’s IEP, he should get assigned to a short route or a bus that makes fewer stops.
How far do you have to live from a school to get a bus in New York?
Education Law 3635 requires that students be provided transportation if they live more than two miles (K-8) or three miles (9-12) from school.
Does New York City have school buses?
New York City usually spends about $1.25 billion dollars every year on providing school bus service for about 150,000 public school students. The buses are mainly used to transport students with special needs.
What should students do while riding the bus?
Students may need to cross the road in front of the bus.
- Wait for the driver to signal you to cross the street.
- Stop, look and listen before crossing the street.
- Walk at least ten (10) feet in front of the bus. Student should always be visible to the driver.
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
What age can a child get off the bus alone in NY?
All children develop at their own rate, and with their own special needs and abilities. Some children are responsible, intelligent, and independent enough to be left alone at 12 or 13 years of age.
How long can a child legally be on a school bus in Massachusetts?
What can I do? Answer: In Massachusetts, your child can only be on the bus for an hour, unless the IEP Team decides a longer bus ride is ok. 603 CMR 28.05 (8)(a). In this case, it seems like a longer bus ride is affecting your child’s right to a Free Appropriate Public Education.
How do NYC children get to school?
A child can be assigned to a school within a zone that is based on the home address. The child does not need a green card or a Social Security number to register for school. Due to growing neighborhoods and school popularity, it is not always possible for a student to attend the school he/she was originally zoned for.
What does it mean when a school bus is stopped and its red lights are flashing?
When a school bus is stopped and flashing its red lights, drivers approaching from both directions must stop. This is because children are being loaded or unloaded. The drivers cannot proceed until the bus begins moving, or the bus driver signals to let vehicles pass, or the red lights are no longer flashing.
Do you have to stop for a school bus on a divided highway in NY?
This law applies on all roadways in New York State. You must stop for a school bus even if it is on the opposite side of a divided highway. After you stop for a school bus, look for children along the side of the road.
How many school buses are in NYC?
About 9,500 school buses operate across the five boroughs each day. The majority are owned and operated by bus contractors, but The Big Apple now operates about 850 routes.
Can college students get student MetroCards?
Most students can start with a $20.00 pay per ride card for about 2 weeks of use. There is no student discount for MetroCards.
How many rides does a school MetroCard have?
You can use a Student MetroCard for three trips each school day. On most trips you can also transfer free from the bus to the subway, from a bus to another bus, or from the subway to the bus. How do I use my Student MetroCard on the bus?
How many kids die in school buses each year?
Although an average of seven school-age passengers are killed in school bus crashes each year, 19 are killed getting on and off the bus, according to School Transportation News. Most of those killed are 5 to 7 years old. They are hit in the “danger zone” around the bus.
Is a bus safer than a car?
Overview. The school bus is the safest vehicle on the road —your child is much safer taking a bus to and from school than traveling by car. Although four to six school-age children die each year on school transportation vehicles, that’s less than one percent of all traffic fatalities nationwide.
Why are school buses safer without seatbelts?
School buses are designed to be safe. School bus seats have high backs and lots of cushioning. In addition, they’re packed together tightly to achieve compartmentalization. In the event of a crash, the seats absorb most of the impact, protecting the children who sit in them.